[CULTURE AND ENTERTAINMENT ★★]
JUSTIN BIEBER ASKED TO LEAVE MEXICAN HISTORIC SITE
(P3) Bieber has been on vacation in the Tulum area, on Mexico’s Caribbean coast south of Cancun, for several days.
(P5) Bieber has been involved in several negative incidents in Latin America in recent years.
(P6) In 2013, Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto denied a tweet by Bieber saying the singer met with the leader and his family prior to a show.
(P7) Bieber later said he was confused about whether the president was there or not.
(P8) That same year, Bieber faced two criminal complaints and demands for REFUNDS in Argentina.
(P9) Bieber angered Argentines by stopping a concert after less than an hour and not showing up for a PHOTO-OP that some fans paid hundreds of dollars extra for. The singer’s manager said Bieber was suffering from FOOD POISONING.
(P12) Bieber also walked off the stage in Brazil that year, ending a concert early after someone threw a plastic bottle at him. Brazilian police tried unsuccessfully to question him about spraying a public building with GRAFFITI, a crime that carries a year’s prison SENTENCE.
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- As a child star, Justin Bieber GREW UP in public. Do you think this had a negative effect on him?
- Many pop stars have reputations for behaving badly. Why do you think this is true?
- Justin Bieber’s FAN BASE is mostly young girls. What singers are popular with young girls in your country?
- Do you think that Justin Bieber will still be a star ten years from now?
EXPRESSIONS TO PRACTICE:
What do the following expressions mean? Practice using each expression in a sentence; extra points if you can use it in conversation.
- Food poisoning
- Grow up
- Fan base