[World News ★]
Explosions in Brussels
(P1) The capital of Belgium is Brussels. There are three explosions in Brussels. Two happen at an airport. One is at a metro station. The metro station is close to the EU buildings.
(P2) The explosions are suicide attacks. People film the situation. They put their videos online.
Difficult words: suicide attacks (an attack when the attacker or criminal kills himself or herself while attacking people), evacuate (if people evacuate a building, everybody must leave the building), terror threat (the danger of a terror attack).
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you have terror attacks in your country?
- How do you feel when you hear about terror attacks in the news?
- Can terror attacks be stopped?
- Why do people want to injure or kill other people?
EXPRESSIONS TO PRACTICE:
What do the following expressions mean? Practice using each expression in a sentence; extra points if you can use it in conversation.
- maximum level
- metro station