[Business News ★★]
(P1) Starbucks U.K. will give customers a discount if they bring their own cup. It wants to cut down on trash and recycle more. Starbucks U.K. said: Reusable cups are a key part of our overall waste reduction strategy.” Customers who bring their own cup will not get a discount on the cheaper filter coffee.
(P2) Paper cups have been in the news a lot. Around seven million cups are thrown away every day. Some cafes lie about how many cups they recycle. Customers might think a cafe is environmentally friendly, but it is not. Fewer than one in 400 paper cups at cafes are recycled. A coffee drinker said: “I am disappointed that cafes recycle so little.”
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you drink coffee? If not, what do you drink instead?
- Would you bring your own cup to Starbucks for a discount? Why or why not?
- Does your country have a recycling program? If not, should they?
- Do you think it’s important to protect the environment? Why or why not?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Cut down (P1)
- Key part (P1)
- Environmentally friendly (P2)
Image source: by psfk http://www.brandingmagazine.com/2012/04/05/an-american-coffee-company-in-paris-starbucks-rebrands-french-stores/#