(P1) The Beatles said money can’t buy us, love. Many people believe it cannot buy happiness and that it causes evil. New research says money can buy happiness. A study compared what 625 people bought with their personality. The conclusion was that buying the right things can bring happiness.
(P2) The study could change how people think about money and happiness. Internet companies could recommend things that make us happier. A researcher said spending money could be very important. It could be as important to our happiness as finding the right job and the right friends.
VOCABULARY: evil, research, personality, conclusion, recommend
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Does money buy you happiness? Why or why not?
- Do you think money can be evil at times? Why or why not?
- Tell me 3 things that make you happy?
- Are you happy right now? Why or why not?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Can’t buy us, love (P1)