[World News ★]
(P2) The papers show that his wife has a firm. It is abroad. It does something illegal. The Prime Minister steps down. He also talks to the president of Iceland. He asks the president to end the parliament. The president does not do it.
(P3) There are protests in Iceland. There are around 10,000 people outside the parliament. They ask the leader to step down.
VOCABULARY: secret, leak, firm, illegal, parliament
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you know if your country has anybody involved in the Panama Papers leak? If so, who?
- Did the Prime Minister of Iceland do the right thing by stepping down? Why?
- Why do people keep secrets?
- How do the think the Panama Papers were leaked?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Steps down (P2)