(P1) This news is from Rio de Janeiro. Hundreds of taxis flood the streets, but they’re not going anywhere. They do not move, and they block the streets. The taxi drivers protest against Uber. The taxi drivers say that Uber is taking their jobs. They say it takes 60% of their work. They want Uber banned.
(P3) One man is a taxi driver for 36 years. Now, he cannot pay his housing bills. Soon, his electricity will be cut off.
(P4) This situation is not only in Brazil. Taxi drivers in other countries protest, too. Uber protects people’s right to choose who drives them.
VOCABULARY: block, banned, tensions, bubbling, unfair
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Is Uber in your country? If so, do you use their services?
- In your opinion, should Uber be banned in every city? Why or why not?
- Which apps do you use? Why?
- Do you use taxis? Why or why not?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Flood the streets (P1)
- App-driven (P2)
- Ride-sharing (P2)
- Cut off (P3)