(P2) Body piercing takes place every year, and the people believe that it stops diseases, but mainly chicken pox. Chicken pox is a disease, which can spread among people very easily. An infection causes it and it can give you skin blisters.
VOCABULARY: practices, piercing, chicken pox, blisters, ritual, threads
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Does your country have traditional practices? If so, describe one.
- Have you ever had the chicken pox?
- Do you have any piercings? If so, where?
- Do you believe a ritual can help you feel no pain? Why or why not?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Frog marriage (P1 – click on phrase)
- Baby dropping (P1 – click on phrase)
- takes place (P2)
- Pierce the body (P3)
Image source: “India village musicians” by Sukanto Debnath from Hyderabad, India – Singers of the villages. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons – http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:India_village_musicians.jpg – /media/File:India_village_musicians.jpg