(P1) An amusement park is an outdoor area with games, rides, and shows. They are spread over a large area, often many square kilometers. Young and old visitors can enjoy many types of attractions. They can ride on roller coasters, go high up in the air on a Ferris wheel or ride on carousels. Amusement parks also offer restaurants and bars to eat and drink, as well as green areas with grass to sit down or relax.
(P2) Most amusement parks have a fixed location. Some of them are open all year round, others only during the warmer season. Today amusement parks have been replaced by theme parks. These places focus on a certain topic of history or natural life. The first theme park, Disneyland, opened in California in 1955.
VOCABULARY: spread, attractions, roller coasters, Ferris wheel, carousels, fixed, certain
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like to go to amusement parks? Why or why not?
- If you like to go to amusement parks, which rides do you like? Why?
- Have you ever been to Disney World in the USA? If so, tell me about your experience. If not, would you like to go?
- Do you plan on going to an amusement park this year? If so, where and when?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Green areas (P1)
- All year round (P2)
- Natural life (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” http://fr.academic.ru/pictures/frwiki/83/Sleepingbeautycastle50.jpg