(P1) A McDonald’s restaurant will soon offer all-you-can-eat French fries. It will open in July. McDonald’s called it the restaurant “of the future” because of many new features. The new location will have armchairs and a large play space for children. Customers will also be able to order food from the waiting staff and choose their own fillings. The restaurant owner said: “There are hundreds of different choices to build the burger of your dreams.”
(P2) There have been many recent changes at McDonald’s. The new boss has tried many things to make more profit. Some of these include an all-day breakfast menu and touch-screen ordering. People have different views about the all-you-can-eat fries. Health campaigners say it will create more obesity. They say McDonald’s should have healthier food. One customer said endless fries are a great idea. She wants to go to McDonald’s more often.
VOCABULARY: features, armchairs, fillings, profit, campaigners, obesity, endless
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you order all-you-can-eat French Fries? Why or why not?
- In your opinion, is McDonald’s making a good decision by offering all-you-can-eat French Fries? Why?
- Which fast food restaurants do you eat at? Why?
- Should fast food restaurants offer healthier choices? Why or why not?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- All-you-can-eat (P1)
- The waiting staff (P1)
- All-day breakfast (P2)
- Touchscreen ordering (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a0/51/73/a05173227f5d5911ceb628d227e3661e.jpg