(P1) The White Giant is one of Argentina’s biggest tourist attractions. It is a 29-kilometre long river of ice. It is home to more than 200 glaciers, and it is the largest continental ice extension in the world after Antarctica.
(P2) There is a glacier, which sheds ice about every four years, and large numbers of people come to watch the show.
(P3) Around 4 thousand people recently watched the roof of an ice tunnel fall. It was quite something to see.
VOCABULARY: glaciers, continental, extension, sheds, tunnel
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Have you ever been to a glacier? If so, where? If not, do you want to go see one?
- What’s the weather like in your city?
- Do you like traveling abroad? Why or why not?
- Why do people like to visit cold places?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- River of ice (P1)
- Every four years (P2)