(P2) Over ten days, they turned 300 old boxes into a boat. They even made some life jackets and put a small outboard on the back. They made everything else from waste packaging, including the flag, which they made from bubble wrap.
(P3) They put the boat into the River Thames and all went to plan.
VOCABULARY: completely, cardboard, life jackets, outboard, waste packaging, bubble wrap
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Why do you think these men built a cardboard boat?
- Can you build a cardboard boat? Why or why not?
- Do you think the boat will work for a long time? Why or why not
- Have you ever been on a boat? If yes, describe your experience. If no, would you like to go on a boat?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES: What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Over ten days (P2)
- To plan (P3)
Image Source: By Official Navy Page from United States of America MC2 ROADELL HICKMAN/U.S. Navy, Public domain