[World News ★]
(P1) There is a fire in Alberta, Canada. It spread to the outskirts of a city and forced the evacuation of 80,000 people. One woman said that they could not even take their things. They lost everything.
(P3) Last Wednesday, it was windy, which made the firefighting even more difficult.
VOCABULARY: outskirts, evacuation, stretches, acres, tackle, firefighting
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Are there similar fires in your country sometimes? If so, where?
- How would you feel if you lost everything in your home?
- Where do you think the water comes from to fight this fire in Alberta Canada?
- Would you like to be a firefighter? Why or why not?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES: What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- From other parts of Canada (P2)
- Last Wednesday (P3)