[World News ★★]
(P1) A possible big break in the hunt for the wreckage of EgyptAir Flight 804: Investigators say they’ve detected a signal from an emergency beacon on the plane, reports the BBC. The discovery will narrow the scope of the search to an area with a 3-mile radius in the Mediterranean, says the chief Egyptian investigator. The signal came not from the black boxes but from a separate transmitter on the plane, reports the AP.
(P2) Still, the signal’s detection should be a big help to a French vessel that on Friday reached the area with equipment designed to zero in on the black boxes. While debris and human remains have been recovered, authorities have no hard evidence yet to determine what brought down the jet with 66 people last week.
VOCABULARY: wreckage, beacon, scope, transmitter, vessel, debris, evidence
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you think the investigators will find the black boxes? Why or why not?
- In your opinion, what do you think happened to the plane?
- Do you like to fly? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- The plane has definitely been found. (T or F)
- Where are the searchers looking for the plane?
- The signal came from one of the black boxes. (T or F)
- How many people were on the plane?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following phrases or expressions mean?
- Big break (P1)
- Black boxes (P1)
- zero in (P2)
- Hard evidence (P2)
Image source: by Egyptian Armed Forces via AP, File http://www.newser.com/story/225758/egyptair-investigators-may-have-caught-a-break.html