(P1) Axl Rose has been getting back in the spotlight of late—including a show last month with AC/DC and a reunion before that with Slash of Guns N’ Roses, which might explain why he’s getting a little defensive about his image. Torrent Freak reports that Rose’s representatives are trying to erase a “fat photo” of him from 2010 by sending takedown notices to Google. The image, shot during a concert in Winnipeg, has since spawned countless memes, notes CNET, including “Oh, sweet pie ‘o mine.” The takedown notice claims copyright infringement thusly: “Please be advised that no permission has been granted to publish the copyright image so we cannot direct you to an authorized example of it.”
(P2) The attempt “is a bit of a long shot,” notes Spin, given that other celebs such as Beyonce and Michael Jordan have failed in similar quests. Torrent Freak actually tracked down the Winnipeg Free Press photographer who took the image, Boris Minkevich, who was surprised to learn of Rose’s efforts to scrub the internet of the image. The issue is tricky because some shows require photographers to sign release contracts that can restrict the subsequent use of any images, and it’s not clear whether Minkevich had to so half-a-decade ago.
VOCABULARY: spotlight, takedown, spawned, memes, infringement, celebs, quests, subsequent
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Which types of music do you like? Why?
- Do you think Google should be required to takedown the photo?
- Do you think photos and videos make people look fatter? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Did Axl Rose perform with AC/DC last month? (Y or N)
- The photo was taken in Toronto. (T or F)
- Which other celebrities attempted to have an internet company remove pictures?
- Who is the photographer of the “fat photo”?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- To erase a “fat photo” (P1)
- The imagine, shot during a concert (P1)
- “is a bit of a long shot” (P2)
- Scrub the internet of the image (P2)
- Half-a-decade ago (P2)