(P1) Muhammad Ali, the world’s greatest sporting hero, has died, aged 74. He was in the hospital with breathing problems. His children flew to be with him at the end. People say Ali is the best boxer ever. He was the world heavyweight champion three times. His nickname is ‘The Greatest’. People think he was the greatest because of what he did outside of boxing. He was a civil rights hero and opponent of the Vietnam War. He also worked for world peace for over 50 years.
(P2) Famous people have paid tribute to Ali. One said: “Ali transformed this country and impacted the world. His legacy will be part of our history for all time.” The U.N. Secretary-General said Ali fought for a better world, “to lift up humanity”. Martin Luther King’s daughter said he was, “a champion in so many ways”. Ali said: “I would like to be remembered as a man who treated everyone right and tried to unite all humankind through faith and love.”
VOCABULARY: civil rights, tribute, transformed, impacted, legacy, humankind, faith
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like boxing? Why or why not?
- Why do you think Muhammad Ali is famous?
- Would you consider Muhammad Ali “The Greatest”? Why or why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Ali died at the age of 74. (T or F)
- He was a 3 -time heavyweight champion. (T or F)
- How many years did he work for peace around the world?
- Ali wanted to bring people together through love and forgiveness? (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- “to lift up humanity” (P2)
- “a champion in so many ways” (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” http://gbmnews.com/wp/archives/21178