(P2) Almost one-sixth (16 percent) of respondents said that they intended to move to a different country within the next two years, the RBC news website reported.
(P3) The three most popular potential destinations were the United States, favored by 22 percent of participants, followed by Germany with 17 percent and Britain with 11 percent.
(P4) Forty-eight percent of those planning to move said that they would find work in a new company while 31 percent planned to start their own business. Another 20 percent said that they would live off the money they earned from leasing property in Russia.
(P5) The poll was conducted in May among 467 Russian high-level managers working in local or international companies.
(P6) Those wishing to move said that they were motivated by more favorable conditions for developing private businesses, better prospects of finding investors, and a higher quality of life.
(P7) Meanwhile, the number of foreign specialists working in Russia has been dropping since 2014.
(P8) In the first 10 months of 2015, the number of work permits issued for highly qualified EU specialists fell by 57 percent compared to the same period in 2013, RBC reported, citing data from the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA).
VOCABULARY: emigrate, poll, headhunting, respondents, potential, prospects, specialists, work permits
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Why do you think the USA, Germany, and Britain are the most favorite destinations for the senior managers?
- If you had the opportunity to work in Russia, would you? Why or why not?
- Besides Russia, would you like to live and work in another country? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which firm administered the survey?
- According to the survey, Britain was the top location. (T or F)
- When was the survey taken?
- What were the 3 reasons given for moving to another country?
- The number of foreign workers has increased in Russia. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Live off (P4)
- Quality of life (P6)