(P1) A man has a bad accident. The accident destroys his face. He feels very bad about how he looks.
(P2) A second man is in a car accident. He dies. His family donates his face to the first man.
(P3) The first man has surgery. It goes very well. He now has a new face. Our bodies usually reject new body parts. His body does not reject the face.
(P4) The sister of the second man meets the first man. She is happy. She says that she sees her brother.
VOCABULARY: accident, destroys, donates, surgery, reject
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Have you ever been in an accident? If so, explain what happened?
- If you died, would you want your face donated? Why or why not?
- Have you ever had surgery? If yes, where on your body?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- The first person didn’t like how his face looked after the accident. (T or F)
- The second person died in a bus accident. (T or F)
- Donated body parts are normally rejected by our bodies. (T or F)
- The woman who met the man with the new face is sad. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- New body parts (P3)
- She sees her brother (P4)
Image Source: by Tareq Salahuddin https://www.flickr.com/photos/tareqsalahuddin/7272346858