(P1) You won’t be hearing, or likely seeing, Lady Gaga in China anytime soon. After the singer met with the Dalai Lama on Sunday to talk meditation and mental health, the Communist Party’s propaganda department ordered her songs banned in China, while state-controlled media were ordered to condemn the meeting, reports the Guardian. A government rep suggests he’s never heard of the singer, whom the BBC describes “one of, if not the most, popular Western musician in mainland China”, but says the Dalai Lama was trying to promote Tibetan independence, per the AP.
VOCABULARY: meditation, propaganda, banned, condemn, mainland, promote
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- In your opinion, do you think China should have banned Lady Gaga? Why or why not?
- Which type of music do you like? Why?
- Is there a lot of propaganda in your country? If so, explain.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Who did Lady Gaga have a conversation with?
- Which topics were discussed in the meeting?
- A spokesperson for the Chinese government said he has no idea who the singer is. (T or F)
- Lady Gaga is a well-known Eastern singer. (T or F)
- According to the article, the Dali Lama was asking for world peace. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Mental health
- Government rep
- Per the AP
Image source: by AP Photo/Michael Conroy http://www.newser.com/story/227304/gaga-just-got-banned-in-china.html