(P1) Is your kid having a hard time concentrating on her homework? It might be time to repaint her room, according to a new study out of Australia. Science Network WA reports researchers found that brightly colored rooms, specifically ones that are red or yellow, help students study better. “The vivid color conditions may increase arousal to optimal levels,” study author Aseel Al-Ayash says. Researchers put participants into six differently colored rooms, had them read a passage, then asked them questions about it.
(P2) The subjects in the bright red and yellow rooms got significantly more correct answers. This despite two-thirds of them thinking red would be a bad color for a study room. They believed pale rooms would be better for concentration because they were calmer. “However, the calmness and relaxation aspects may not help students to be alert and active,” Al-Ayash says. Instead, the brighter rooms “stimulated neural activity.” The study could have an impact on the way schools and universities paint their facilities. However, you may want to keep red out of the kitchen if you’re trying to lose weight: WebMD notes it may have a stimulating effect on appetite.
VOCABULARY: repaint, vivid, arousal, optimal, passage, despite, pale, aspects, neural, appetite
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- In your opinion, do you think color makes a difference in study habits? Why or why not?
- Which colors do you like in your bedroom? Why?
- In your point of view, do you think red will make you hungrier? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which colors could have a positive effect on study habits?
- How many rooms were used in the study?
- How many participants thought red was not a good choice for studying?
- Lightly colored rooms are better to study in. (T or F)
- Which color in the kitchen may increase your hungry?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Color conditions (P1)
- Keep red out of the kitchen (P2)
- Stimulating effect on appetite (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” Credit: Google Images https://www.theodysseyonline.com/25-steps-homework