(P2) There must be big waves for the events. They must be at least 6 meters high.
(P3) The first event takes place in Mexico. Twelve surfers are successful.
VOCABULARY: competition, consists, take place, waves, surfers
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like to surf? Why or why not?
- Is this sport dangerous? Why or why not?
- Have you ever won a competition? If yes, tell me about it.
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What’s the name of the competition?
- When will the event happen?
- The surfers surf small waves. (T or F)
- Where is the competition located?
- Eleven competitors will go to the next competition. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Surfing competition (P1)
- Until February (P1)
- At least 6 meters high (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” https://www.google.co.th/search?q=ahead+of+the+curve&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQSkwEJCyuyOSQu1ecahwELEKjU2AQaBAgBCAkMCxCwjKcIGl4KXAgDEiQWuwG6AeoVzAEThRYalB4V6CitN5MqrzeLK-YotjeRKrM3jisaMFZuZhHrkw-jwOe_1xFUhxJLI8NaprLYzAmhc2y4E4NPWSAhsA29QnwNpiFVNDox3hyAEDAsQjq7-CBoKCggIARIETbV59ww&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2-fy4mbLSAhWFbrwKHVEyCfUQwg4IFygA&biw=1093&bih=537#imgrc=_