[Travel News ★★]
(P1) A 777 Boeing was flying from Singapore Changi Airport to Milan. Two hours into the flight, the pilot received an engine oil warning message. He turned the plane back and started dumping fuel.
(P2) Shortly after landing, the engine caught fire and people captured the scene on video and shared it on social media. None of the 222 passengers and 19 crew on board were injured. All of them were safely evacuated and taken to the airport terminal by bus.
(P3) Singapore Airlines is one of the safest airlines in the world. People praised the pilot for doing a good job.
VOCABULARY: dumping, landing, scene, injured, evacuated, praised
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- If you were in the plane, how would you react?
- Would you have video recorded the fire also? Why or why not?
- Do you think flying is safe? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which airport was the airplane flying from?
- What alert did the pilot crew receive?
- There were 10 people on the plane hurt and taken to the hospital. (T or F)
- All the people onboard the aircraft were taken to Singapore Airlines main office. (T or F)
- The pilot was disciplined for not following correct procedures. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Two hours into (P1)
- Engine oil warning message (P1)
- Captured the scene (P2)
- On board (P2)
- One of the safest airlines in the world (p3)