(P1) A company is paying workers to sleep. Employees will get $300 a year extra if they sleep more than seven hours a night. The company said workers will work better if they sleep well. The company will then do better. Workers record their sleep using a wrist monitor. They can also write down how long they sleep every night.
(P2) Not sleeping enough is bad for our job. The average U.S. worker loses 11.3 working days of work a year because of not sleeping enough. The US economy loses $63.2 billion a year. A European study found that workers who sleep less than seven hours per night do a lot less work. People who sleep eight hours do more work.
VOCABULARY: extra, record, wrist monitor, average, enough, study
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you get enough sleep? Why or why not?
- Would you like to get paid to sleep? Why or why not?
- Could you sleep wearing a wrist monitor? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- How much more pay will workers receive for sleeping?
- Which 2 ways can employees keep track of their sleep?
- Lack of sleep isn’t bad for working. (T or F)
- The research was done by a Chinese company. (T or F)
- The study suggests that people work better with 6-8 hours of sleep. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- more than seven hours a night (P1)
- write down (P1)
- not sleeping enough (p2)
- per night (P2)