(P1) This news is from Cuba. There is a bad storm. There are waterspouts. They are at sea. They move to land. They destroy homes. Many people are injured.
(P2) According to the local media, this is the first time that waterspouts happened in this area. Thankfully, no one dies.
VOCABULARY: storm, waterspouts, destroy, injured, media
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Are there bad storms in your country? If yes, what type of storms?
- Have you ever been in a bad storm? If yes, were you afraid?
- Do you like snow? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which country had the waterspouts?
- The waterspouts were only out at sea. (T or F)
- Houses were badly damaged. (T or F)
- Only a few people were hurt. (T or F)
- Some people were killed. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- at sea (P1)
- move to land (P1)
- according to (P2)
Image source: by”unknown” http://www.bom.gov.au/storm_spotters/handbook/tornadoes_and_other_funnels.shtml