[World News ★]
(P1) This news is from France. There was an attack on people in the town of Nice. People put down flowers and candles for the people who are dead. People out in the streets are scared and angry.
(P2) One lady says that people think that these attacks always happen in other places. When the attack happens in your town, it touches you directly.
(P3) Another lady is angry. She says that people need more protection from these attacks. People feel nervous. They don’t know when these attacks will end.
VOCABULARY: town, candles, scared, happen, directly, protection, nervous
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Why did people put flowers and candles on the street?
- How does this news make you feel? Why?
- Should there be more protection for people? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which city and country did the attack happen?
- People put candles and letters on the road where the people died. (T or F)
- People are mad and afraid. (T or F)
- The event made the people of the town tense. (T or F)
- The people in the town are sure the violence will end. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- put down flowers (P1)
- people out in the streets (P1)
- it touches you directly (P2)
- will end (P3)
Image source: by “unknown” http://www.consented.co.uk/read/how-empathetic-can-anyone-truly-be-with-all-the-tragedies-in-this-world/