(P1) Hippos are aggressive, easily scared and very dangerous animals. People can use them for fighting. In Russia, however, they do tricks at a circus show.
(P2) One circus has three hippos. They roll over, jump, and even play a real-life version of Hungry Hippos. Sometimes, they get close to people, but they are not afraid.
(P3) The hippos are fully trained. No physical force is used on them.
VOCABULARY: aggressive, tricks, roll, version, physical force
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like going to the circus? Why or why not?
- Do you like hippos? Why or why not?
- Which animal is your favorite? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Hippos are gentle animals. (T or F)
- Which country are the hippos in?
- How many hippos are in the circus?
- The hippos don’t get near people. (T or F)
- The hippos are 100% trained. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- easily scared (P1)
- a real-life version of Hungry Hippos (P2)
- fully trained (P3)
Image source: by “unknown” Reuters http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3679807/Heartbreaking-pictures-deadly-hippos-forced-perform-families-entertainment-Russian-circus.html