(P1) A new report describes life in 2116. There are many tall buildings and underwater cities. Experts said the way we live, work, and play will be very different. They said that 25 years ago, people could not imagine how the Internet would change our lives. The changes in 2116 will be more unbelievable.
(P2) People made predictions about the future. We will work at home and have online meetings. We will download ideas for furniture or food and then ‘print’ it on our 3D printer. Our home health system will tell us about our health problems. We will also take holidays in space. No one predicted if people will need to study English.
VOCABULARY: describes, underwater, imagine, unbelievable, predictions, furniture
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you think people can predict the future? Why or why not?
- Will people take holidays in space in the future? Why or why not?
- Will there be cities underwater in the future? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which year in the future does the article talk about?
- The internet did not alter lives. (T or F)
- In the future, we will not work in our house. (T or F)
- Which type of printer will be used in 2116?
- One of the predictions was people will still need to learn English. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- the way we live (P1)
- 25 years ago (P1)
- online meetings (P2)
- home health system (P2)
- take holidays (P2)