(P1) Dubai Health Authority (DHA) held a smart clinic to raise awareness about childhood obesity and its related health problems.
(P2) Obesity is a risk factor for a number of chronic diseases and experts at the smart clinic focused on the link between childhood obesity and obesity in adulthood.
(P3) According to a report by the Dubai Health Authority’s Schools and Educational Institutions Unit, 33 percent of school children from kindergarten to Grade 12 across 176 private schools are either overweight or obese. Of these 14 to 16 percent are obese.
(P4) Dr. Hamed Hussein, family and community medicine specialist in schools and educational institutions health unit at DHA, said, “This statistic reveals the magnitude of the problem. This report is for the academic year 2014-2015, and once we received this report with the details of the children who suffer from obesity, we sent reports to parents highlighting the level of obesity their child suffers from, and we offered them three interventional options.”
(P5) He added that the feedback the unit received from parents has been very positive. “We are working with the municipality and all schools already have a list of banned foods and foods which should not be provided in school canteens. This has been in place for quite some time, however, the challenge is how to sustain a healthy eating pattern outside school hours. That’s where the role of parents becomes vital and it is not only limited to ensuring their kids eat healthier, but also includes ensuring limited exposure to television and video games so that they can lead active lifestyles.”
VOCABULARY: obesity, chronic, magnitude, interventional, canteens, vital
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Is child obesity problem in your country? Why or why not?
- Why do you think child obesity is a concern?
- Should schools offer more physical activities for all students? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What does the abbreviation DHA stand for?
- What percentage of children in the report are said to have excessive body fat?
- Parents with obese child receive a letter from the school. (T or F)
- Schools have a file of prohibited foods. (T or F)
- Besides eating healthier, what else must parents make sure their children don’t overdo?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- to raise awareness (P1)
- a risk factor (P2)
- highlighting the level of obesity (P4)
- lead active lifestyles (P5)
Image source: by “unknown” http://cache.emirates247.com/polopoly_fs/1.505497.1452533067!/image/image.jpg