(P1) In Australia, a Russian Orthodox priest set off to break a world record. He wants to break the previous world record of flying around the world solo in a hot-air balloon. He must do it in fewer than 13 and a half days.
(P2) This priest has attempted many risky adventures before, such as climbing Mount Everest and rowing 16,000 kilometers across the Pacific Ocean. However, his wife said that this new adventure is her husband’s childhood dream.
VOCABULARY: set off, world record, solo, attempted, risky, rowing, childhood
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you fly around the world in a hot-air balloon? Why or why not?
- Do you like risky adventures? Why or why not?
- Would you like to break a world record some day? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where does the priest start his journey?
- The priest will fly with another person. (T or F)
- To break the world record, he must finish his journey in less than 13 1/2 days. (T of F)
- How far did the priest row across an ocean?
- As a child, what’s his dream in life?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- Russian Orthodox priest (P1)
- break the previous world record (P1)
- across the Pacific Ocean (P2)
- childhood dream (P2)