[World News ★★]
(P1) In Texas, USA, some prisoners did a very surprising thing. When they saw their guard collapse outside their cell, they broke out not to run away but to help him. They called for help and when no one came, they used his radio to call for other guards in the courtyard.
(P2) The other guards showed up and put the prisoners back into their cell. The others tried CPR and then called for paramedics. The guard ended up surviving, and people are now crediting these prisoners for their quick actions.
VOCABULARY: collapse, cell, courtyard, CPR, paramedics, crediting
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Why do you think the prisoners didn’t try to escape?
- Should the prisoners be given a reward for helping the guard? Why or why not?
- Do you think prisoners should be taught CPR? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where does the event take place?
- Who fell over?
- Other guards came when the prisoners screamed for help. (T of F)
- Where were the other prison guards?
- What did the other guards do to the guard on the floor?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- surprising thing (P1)
- broke out (P1)
- showed up (P2)
- ended up (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/texas-inmates-bust-cell-guard-heart-attack-article-1.2705514