(P1) Retiring policewoman Park Soon-ja has joined the “Honor Society” for donating 100 million won ($87,000) to a local welfare center in Changwon, South Gyeongsang Province. The honor is bestowed upon those whose donations surpass 100 million won by the Community Chest of Korea, the largest nonprofit welfare institution in Korea.
(P2) The 61-year old outgoing superintendent said she owes a debt of gratitude to society.
“For nearly 40 years while serving as a police officer, I have received many honors from the country,” said Park. “As I leave the force I feel strongly that it’s time for me to help the needy neighborhoods where I have served.”
(P3) Park served as a police officer for 37 years. She first joined the Masan Jungbu Police Station as a constable in 1979, one of the few female police officers at the time.
(P4) Having served various posts including the 112 emergency control center and the female and juvenile divisions, she has spent most of her career dealing with people’s requests.
(P5) Last month, Park officially retired from her post at the Changwon Seobu Police Station.
(P6) While serving as a police officer, she regularly visited local senior welfare centers to perform various volunteer efforts such as bathing those with serious illnesses and washing their clothes.
(P7) “It was not an easy decision to donate her severance pay,” said the head manager of the beneficiary local welfare community. “The donation will be used to help needy people in the community.”
(P8) Park is the 80th Honor Society member in South Gyeongsang Province.
VOCABULARY: welfare center, bestowed, outgoing, constable, posts, severance pay
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you consider donating your severance pay to charity? Why or why not?
- Why do people donate money to charity?
- Besides money, how else can people donate?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Who did she give the money to?
- What was the title of her last position?
- In which year did she start her career?
- It was an uncomplicated decision to donate her severance money. (T or F)
- Which organization is she a member of now?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- she owes a debt of gratitude to society (P2)
- as I leave the force (P2)
- dealing with people’s requests (P4)
- volunteer efforts (P6)
- needy people (P7)
Image source: by “unknown” http://img.koreatimes.co.kr/upload/newsV2/images/160721_p05_retiring.jpg