(P1) In the ultimate act of lavish absurdity, Singapore restaurant Ce La Vi is partnering with Russian company World of Diamonds Group to offer what is being billed as the “most expensive dining experience in the world.” It’s one only two worthy diners will have the chance to experience at a date that Mashable reports, has yet to be specified, though the site references an August press conference that will ostensibly precede it. The companies will select the chosen duo, and what unfolds over the course of the eight-hour affair may actually make the $2 million price tag something of a bargain. A 45-minute helicopter ride over Singapore kicks things off, at which point the pair is escorted via a Rolls Royce to a private luxury cruise, reports Forbes. They are ultimately transported to Ce La Vi, which offers 360-degree views of the city from its perch atop the Marina Bay Sands Hotel.
(P2) The diners will be surrounded with 10,000 roses and dine with diamond-studded chopsticks engraved with their names, partaking in an 18-course meal that includes the world’s most expensive caviar, not just salmon but “Air-Flown Alaska Wild Salmon,” slow-cooked pigeon, and world-class wines that have been aged as long as 55 years. The furniture will be custom-made to their liking, and the whole shebang culminates with the cognac-infused presentation of the Jane Seymour ring at the stroke of midnight, a 2.08-carat Fancy Vivid Blue diamond set in 18-karat rose gold-plated platinum and valued at $2 million. And, oh yes, there will be fireworks
VOCABULARY: absurdity, worthy, ostensibly, perch, partaking, shebang, culminates
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Why do you think the restaurants is doing this extravagant dinner for two?
- Would you like to partake in this dinner? Why or why not?
- Which part of the event do you like? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What is the partners’ statement for the event?
- How long will the event be?
- From the rooftop of the restaurant, there are unobstructed views of Singapore. (T or F)
- Where is the caviar coming from?
- What is the estimated worth of the ring?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- what is being billed (P1)
- price tag (P1)
- kicks things off (P1)
- aged as long as 55 years (P2)
Image source: Cê La Vi