(P1) In Peru, a businessman came early to his business one morning to find a big surprise. He found a sloth in front of his business.
(P3) This was a surprise because sloths normally do not go near people. They normally stay in the forest. They are very slow moving and can sleep from 15 to 20 hours a day. Sloths are also endangered because of humans and other animals that eat them.
VOCABULARY: sloth, wildlife, authorities, eventually, forest, endangered
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- How would you react if you saw a sloth in front of your house?
- Do you think sloths are cute or ugly? Why?
- Why do you think the sloth left the forest?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where does this event happen?
- Who did the businessman call?
- The sloth was returned to the zoo. (T or F)
- Sloths are used to being around people. (T or F)
- How many hours per day can sloths sleep?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?a
- in front of his business (p1)
- wildlife authorities (P2)
- do not go near people (P3)
- normally stay in the forest (P3)