(P1) Look, no one wants to miss their flight, but sometimes you just have to deal with it. The Guardian reports a man was late for his flight from Madrid to the Canary Islands on Friday. Instead of giving up, he ducked out a fire escape and chased a Ryanair plane down the tarmac.
(P2) The whole thing was caught on video and posted on Facebook. Workers stopped the man before catching the plane, which was actually the wrong one. He still somehow managed to get onto his flight, according to CNN. He was arrested upon landing in the Canary Islands.
VOCABULARY: giving up, ducked, fire escape, tarmac, catching, somehow, arrested
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you think this man is crazy? Why or why not?
- What would you do if you were late for a flight?
- Do you think he should have been arrested on the tarmac? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where did the man travel to?
- How did the man get on the runway?
- What is the name of the airline he was flying on?
- He was caught by the police. (T or F)
- When was he arrested?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- have to deal with it (P1)
- caught on video (P2)
- the wrong one (P2)
- onto his flight (P2)
- upon landing (P2)
Image source: Facebook https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1577466/incredible-moment-ryanair-passenger-runs-across-tarmac-at-madrid-airport-to-try-and-catch-his-flight/