(P1) This news is from Colombia. It is about a man. He is 43 years old. He is drunk. He is on a balcony. The balcony is 33.5 meters above the ground.
(P2) The man loses his balance. He falls down, but he is really lucky. A canopy catches him. His fall completely destroys it. But the man is fine! He is only confused.
VOCABULARY: drunk, balcony, balance, canopy, destroys, confused
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Are balconies dangerous sometimes? Why or why not?
- Have you ever fell down and hurt yourself? If yes, describe what happened.
- Do you think the man could have died? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which country is the man in?
- What’s the age of the person?
- How high is the balcony?
- The man slipped and fell down the building. (T or F)
- He only had minor injuries. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- on a balcony (P1)
- above the ground (p1)
- loses his balance (P2)
- Really lucky (P2)
Image source: 22.08.2016 By Leeroy.ca, Public domain, https://www.pexels.com/photo/house-window-balcony-2475/