(P1) Disney is transforming “Star Wars” from a galaxy far, far away to California and Florida. Disney announced plans to bring the film franchise to two of its parks. The project will feature two new rides, including one where people take control of the Millennium Falcon spaceship, a famous spaceship from the movies.
(P2) The construction of the “Star Wars” land will begin in Disneyland in California in 2017. It is not known when the construction in Florida will begin.
(P3) Disney said nothing about the costs, but it spent 1 billion dollars to build a 12-acre Cars Land. Next year, a 5.5 billion dollar theme park will also open in Shanghai.
VOCABULARY: transforming, announced, franchise, feature, construction, theme
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like the movie Star Wars? Why or why not?
- Do you like Disney theme parks? Why or why not?
- Why do people like to go to Disneyland and Disneyworld?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where will Star Wars land be located in the future?
- What’s the name of the well-known spacecraft?
- Star Wars land will be constructed in the Florida park first. (T or F)
- How much will the Star Wars project cost to build?
- A Disney theme park will not be built in China. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- far, far away (P1)
- take control (P1)
- will begin (P2)
- said nothing about the costs (P3)
Image source: by “unknown” http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/012/117/ea4.jpg