[World News ★★]
(P1) Colombians are happy because the government signed a peace deal with the rebel group FARC. It ends 52 years of fighting. Over 220,000 people died and millions lost their homes. There were two years of talks between the two sides. Colombia’s president said it was, “the beginning of the end to the suffering, pain, and tragedy of war”. A spokesman said: “This agreement opens the door to a more inclusive society.” Both sides will now work together for the victims.
(P2) FARC started during the Cold War. It will now help in the process to shape Colombia’s future. In the capital city, thousands of people celebrated the peace on the streets. One Colombian said: “I can die in peace because finally, I’ll see my country without violence, with a future for my children.” Colombians will vote on the peace deal in October. The president said: “It will be the most important election of our lives.”
VOCABULARY: signed, deal, rebel, FARC, spokesman, inclusive, Cold War
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you think world peace is possible? Why or why not?
- Have you ever celebrated on the streets in your country? If yes, why?
- Why do people fight?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which two organizations signed the agreement?
- How many people lost their lives?
- When was the FARC established?
- How many people took to the streets and celebrated?
- When will the citizens vote on the peace agreement?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- two years of talks (P1)
- the beginning of the end (P1)
- shape Colombia’s future (P2)
- most important (P2)
Image source: AP Photo/Fernando Vergara http://www.foxnews.com/world/slideshow/2016/08/26/colombians-react-to-news-peace-deal.html#/slide/colombia_peace_accord__3