[World News ★]
(P1) Heavy rain in Moscow caused a river to burst its banks, causing flooding in the streets. Two hundred people evacuated. In total, 9.4 centimeters rained down on the city.
(P2) One man, however, decided to turn the bad weather into something better. He got on a wakeboard and a car pulled him in the flooded streets.
VOCABULARY: burst, banks, flooding, evacuated, wakeboard
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Would you wakeboard in the streets? Why or why not?
- Does it rain a lot in your country? If yes, how many centimeters?
- Do you think wakeboarding is dangerous? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which city is the man wakeboarding in?
- How many people had to leave the city?
- How much did it rain?
- Two people were wakeboarding. (T or F)
- What pulled the man?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- heavy rain (P1)
- rained down (P1)
- to turn (P2)
- got on (P2)
Image source: by “unknown” http://www.fiweh.com/media/k2/items/cache/b96b0675996074d026b87e19f230d72d_XL.jpg