(P1) This year’s iPhone, revealed Wednesday, is seen as a more modest upgrade, as several analysts noted that it was increasingly difficult to make impressive changes in hardware, the AP reports. Among Apple’s biggest changes are nixing the headphone jack and adding a “dual lens” camera to the higher-priced 7 Plus model. Some thought that could be enough to entice new users. “I believe Apple did enough to keep the base happy with upgrades and arguably did enough to attract some Android users,” one analyst says.
(P2) Many longtime Apple users had been complaining on social media about the lack of a headphone jack in the new phones. But another analyst says she doesn’t think that will turn off prospective iPhone buyers. “Three months later, it will be, ‘Why did we ever have that?” she says. But while Apple’s claims for its new “Air Pods” wireless earbuds seem technically impressive, Bob O’Donnell of Technalysis Research says people are likely to lose them. “You start losing those things, at $160 a pair, you’re going to go crazy.”
VOCABULARY: modest, impressive, nixing, entice, prospective, earbuds
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Are you going to purchase the new iPhone 7? Why or why not?
- Do you think a lot of people will lose their Air Pods? Why or why not?
- Do you think $160 for the Air Pods is cheap or expensive? Why?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- When was the new phone introduced?
- What did Apple eliminate from the iPhone 7?
- The new phone will appeal to many Android users. (T or F)
- What name did Apple give to the new headphones?
- According to Bob O’ Donnell, what will happen to people if they lose their wireless earbuds?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- headphone jack (P1)
- keep the base happy (P1)
- turn off (P2)
- a pair (P2)
Image source: AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez http://www.newser.com/story/230768/experts-apple-arguably-did-enough-with-new-iphone-7.html