[World News ★]
(P1) The hot dog is something typical of New York. One man says that it is like the Empire State Building or the Brooklyn Bridge. Those places are also very typical of New York.
(P2) One brand of hot dogs is 100 years old. The brand celebrates its birthday. People use the hot dogs to make the longest line of hot dogs. They use 1,916 buns.
(P3) This big hot dog is 292 meters long. This is 34 meters longer than the second longest hot dog. The second longest hot dog is made in Tokyo.
VOCABULARY: typical, brand, celebrates, line, buns
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you eat hot dogs? Why or why not?
- What is typical in your country?
- What are some typical foods in your city?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- New York is known for hot dogs. (T or F)
- Which building is typical of New York?
- How many hot dog buns did they use?
- How many meters is the longest hot dog?
- Where was the second longest hot dog made?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- it is like (P1)
- very typical (P1)
- 100 years old (P2)
- second longest hot dog (P3)
Image source: http://www.freeclipartnow.com/food/meat/hot-dogs/hot-dog-colorful.jpg.html