(P1) Hawaii might ban the tourist activity of swimming with dolphins. Dolphins have been a magnet for tourists over the past decades. However, officials say tourism harms the dolphins because they cannot rest or socialize. The National Marine Fisheries Service (MNFS) wants to stop swimming with or approaching within 50 meters of, dolphins. That would end many tour activities, such as sailing alongside the dolphins and snorkeling with them.
(P2) The MNFS said the ban would not have a big impact on Hawaii’s tourist trade. It said: “We think that by identifying 50 meters as the minimum distance, there still can be a viable tourist industry.” Tour operators disagree. One warned: “It would be the end of legitimate dolphin swimming. We couldn’t offer the people the quality interaction that they expect.” Dolphins are most active at night and sleep and relax during the day.
VOCABULARY: magnet, sailing, impact, viable, legitimate
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Are you for or against swimming with dolphins? Why?
- What activities do you like to do when you are on vacation?
- Do you think a ban on swimming with dolphins will have a big impact on tourism in Hawaii? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which State in the USA is considering to prohibit people from swimming with dolphins?
- What’s the name of the agency that wants to put the ban in place?
- Who thinks the ban on swimming with dolphins won’t have a negative influence on tourism?
- Who opposes the ban?
- Dolphins are mostly nocturnal mammals. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- past decades (P1)
- approaching within 50 meters of (P1)
- tourist trade (P2)
- quality interaction (P2)
Image source: by Handout / Getty Images http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/in-this-handout-photo-provided-by-seaworld-san-diego-sadie-a-at-picture-id457553726?s=594×594