[World News ★★]
(P2) There were many high-scoring words, but two of them really stood out. “Braconid” scored the player 176 points, and this word means a small parasitic wasp.
(P3) The winner said that it was absolutely amazing to be the World Scrabble Champion of 2016. He also won 7,000 euros. He celebrated by going out, buying a bottle of champagne, and deciding not to play Scrabble again for the rest of the year.
VOCABULARY: enthusiasts, final, nail-biting, wasp, absolutely
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you think playing Scrabble could help people learn English? Why or why not?
- What games do you like to play? Why or why not?
- Have you ever won something? If yes, what?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- How many countries were represented in the event?
- Where is the winner from?
- There were only two words that had really high scores. (T or F)
- How much money did the champion win??
- The winner will never play Scrabble in the future. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- really stood out (P2)
- high-scoring words (P2)
- going out (P3)
- for the rest of the year (P3)
Image source: by “unknown” http://geekologie.com/2014/08/06/new-scrabble-words.jpg