(P1) In Cuba, a pig gave birth to a litter of piglets but died afterward. A man collected the piglets and brought them home.
(P2) He put the piglets together with his dog, who was feeding her pups. He wanted to see if the dog would accept the piglets. On the first day, she was a little hesitant, but then she ended up giving them milk. She now feeds her own babies as well as the adoptive ones.
(P3) The dog is now something of a local attraction in the Cuban town.
VOCABULARY: piglets, afterward, collected, pups, hesitant, adoptive
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like dogs? Why or why not?
- What are some animals that are in your country?
- Do you think it’s strange that the dog accepted the piglets? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- How many piglets were born to the pig?
- The dog has 5 pups. (T or F)
- What did the dog give the little pigs?
- Now the dog only gives milk to her pups. (T or F)
- People go to the city to see the dog. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- litter of piglets (P1)
- if the dog would accept the piglets (P2)
- ended up (P2)
- something of a local attraction (P3)
Image source: By Giang Ho Thi Hoang, https://www.flickr.com/photos/hthg1983/1519121063