(P1) History was made at the New York Fashion Week when there was a collection in which every model wore a hijab. The hijab is a veil worn by Muslim women that covers the head. It has been in the news a lot recently. Muslim designer Anniesa Hasibuan wanted to show how stylish the hijab is. The 30-year-old wowed the crowd with her designs and received a standing ovation. She is the first Indonesian to show at a big global fashion event.
(P2) More fashion stores are using Islamic designs. H&M released an advert with a Muslim model in a hijab. Dolce and Gabbana made hijabs for richer Muslim customers. Not everyone is happy with the new hijab fashion. Some say it is un-Islamic. A professor of Islamic Studies said: “The essence of Muslim dress is to wear something decent, to be modest. For women, they have to make sure what they’re wearing doesn’t attract the attention of men.”
VOCABULARY: model, stylish, wowed, ovation, advert, essence, modest
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you agree or disagree with the professor of Islamic Studies in paragraph 2? Why or why not?
- In your opinion, are the hijab designs of Anniesa Hasibuan stylish? Why or why not?
- Why do you think the hijab has been in the news a lot lately?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Where was the fashion show held?
- Hijabs have been in the news for years. (T or F)
- How old is the Muslim designer?
- Where’s Anniesa Hasibuan from?
- Which two fashion stores are mentioned in the article?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- history was made (P1)
- to show at a big global fashion event (P1)
- in a hijab (P2)
- Muslim dress (P2)