[Travel News ★★★★]
(P1) Apps have an increasingly more important role in all facets of our vacation from the travel itself to day-to-day exploration. In fact, apps have completely revolutionized how we travel the world.
(P2) Virtual reservations is one way, notes YonderWork. These days, you can buy tickets and even board a flight, just using an app.“Not having to check in when you get to the airport or sifting through your bag for that printed boarding pass expedites the entire airport experience. The same goes for other transportation methods (Uber, trains) and hotel reservations,” says YonderWork.
(P3) Having access to real-time information is another way apps are changing the travel experience.
(P4) “Apps can feed you up-to-date information about your travel and reservation details, so you’re never caught off-guard by any changes. Apps can send push notifications or emails letting you know that your flight is delayed, or that your hotel check-out time is at 10 a.m. so that you’re always prepared for what’s coming,” notes YonderWork.
(P5) One of the biggest ways apps have transformed the travel landscape is through navigation.
(P6) “I can’t tell you how thankful I am to be able to utilize my phone instead of a physical map. As someone who has no sense of direction, those maps don’t do much for me except somehow manage to get lost in my bag,” reports YonderWork.
(P7) Apps have made travel easier in other ways, too. It’s easy to keep in touch with people at home and with the people you meet abroad.
VOCABULARY: facets, exploration, sifting, off-guard, travel landscape
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you use travel apps? If so, which ones?
- Do you think traveling has become easier with apps? Why or why not?
- Will you start using travel apps more often to plan our travel? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Travel apps are only good for certain types of travel. (T or F)
- Apps can be used to check-in to flights. (T or F)
- Real-time information is another way our travel experience is changing. (T or F)
- What can apps send you?
- Apps are not an easy way to keep in touch with people you meet in other countries. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- real-time information (P3)
- apps can feed you (P4)
- no sense of direction (P6)
- get lost in my bag (P6)
Image source: Photo courtesy of Thinkstock http://www.travelpulse.com/news/travel-technology/how-apps-are-revolutionizing-the-travel-experience.html