(P1) Tea is the second most popular drink in the world. There are many different kinds of tea. It is not known if tea, was first grown in China or India. According to old Chinese legends, it came from India. It is thought that tea was used in India as early as 750 BC. Here are five fun facts about this popular drink.
- Tea bags were invented in America. They were first used to store samples of tea sent from India.
- More than 95 percent of all cups of tea are now made using tea bags.
- Tea leaves are a good natural way of keeping mosquitoes away from you. If you apply damp leaves to your skin, the mosquitoes will keep away from you.
- Tea has about half the amount of caffeine that coffee has.
- China is the biggest producer of tea. It makes almost 30 percent of the world’s tea.
VOCABULARY: legends, invented, to store, leaves, damp, producer
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like to drink tea? Why or why not?
- Do people drink tea in your country? If so, at what time of the day?
- Why do you think tea is so popular in the world?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Tea is the most popular drink in the world. (T or F)
- Where were tea bags invented?
- What percent of tea is made by using tea bags?
- Tea has twice the amount of caffeine that coffee has. (T or F)
- Which country makes the most tea?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- first grown (P1)
- as early as (P1)
- first used (#1)
- keeping mosquitos away (#3)
- half the amount (#4)