[World News ★]
(P1) Red phone boxes are typical in Britain. They are a big tourist attraction. However, people do not use them anymore. They have mobile phones. There are fewer and fewer phone boxes.
(P2) One company wants to change this. The company turns the boxes into small offices. They have Wi-Fi, plug sockets, a phone, a printer, a scanner and free coffee and tea.
(P3) The first workstation opens this month. It opens in London. More workstations are coming soon.
VOCABULARY: phones boxes, attraction, company, sockets, workstation
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- In your own words, what is the article about?
- Does your country have phone boxes? If so, are they still used?
- What are some tourist attractions in your country?
- Do you like that the phone boxes are now workstations? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Which country are the phone boxes in?
- People still use the phone boxes. (T or F)
- What drinks will be free in the workstations?
- Which city will open the first workstation?
- There will be more workstations opening soon. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- typical in Britain (P1)
- fewer and fewer phone boxes (P1)
- turns the boxes into small offices (P2)
- coming soon (P3)
Image source: by “unknown” https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FP2ZW9RVGs4/maxresdefault.jpg