(P1) What are your favorite pizza toppings? How about squid or fried eggs? Most Americans seem to prefer their pizza with the usual cheese and pepperoni. People in other countries, however, have different tastes. In India, for example, a common pizza topping is ginger and mutton. Many Indians like to eat pizza covered with tofu. Spicy vegetables are also a popular topping there. People from Sweden like to eat their pizza with bananas and pineapple. They seem to also enjoy chicken and a heap of curry powder on it!
(P2) If you eat a pizza in Japan, don’t be startled if it has a squid topping. The mayajaga pizza is also popular there. This is a pizza covered with potatoes and mayonnaise. In France, you can enjoy your pizza with a fried egg on top. The egg is sometimes cooked on the pizza. Despite all these different dishes to choose from, pepperoni is still the most popular topping in the world. It also seems that pizza lovers want to eat meat. Somewhere around 62% of all pizzas have meat on them. The next time you indulge in pizza, why not try something a little different on top?
VOCABULARY: squid, mutton, ginger, heap, startled, indulge
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- What are some popular pizza toppings in your country?
- What do you like on your pizza? Why?
- Why do you think pizza is so popular worldwide?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- What do a majority of people from the USA like on top of their pizza?
- A lot of people from India put sheep meat, ginger, and tofu as pizza toppings. (T or F)
- In Sweden, they like to put a small portion of curry powder on their pizza. (T or F)
- Which type of pizza is well liked in Japan?
- What is the most popular topping around the world?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- seem to prefer (P1)
- different tastes (P1)
- a pizza covered with (P2)
- cooked on (P2)