[World News ★★]
(P1) On Saturday, a Mexican oil tanker exploded. About 15 or 20 minutes later, lifeboats came down. The crew was able to evacuate.
(P2) The tanker belongs to a Mexican state oil company. The fire broke out 13 kilometers off the Mexican coast in the Gulf of Mexico.
(P3) This is not the first accident for this oil company. The people in the company say that they do not know why the tanker exploded.
VOCABULARY: exploded, lifeboats, crew, evacuate, broke out, off
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Do you like to ride in boats? Why or why not?
- What are some things that could have caused the explosion?
- Why is being a firefighter a dangerous job?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- On what day did the accident occur?
- The crew didn’t make it off the tanker. (T or F)
- Who owns the tanker?
- Where was the tanker when the explosion happened?
- The explosion was caused by human error. (T or F)
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- about 15 or 20 minutes later (P1)
- came down (P1)
- not the first accident (P3)
- the people in the company (P3)
Image source: by Eduardo Murillo/AFP/Getty Images https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/25/fire-breaks-out-on-mexican-state-tanker-in-gulf-of-mexico
As a common people who is residing near to the oil factory, can identify the issues or challenges facing because of this , this effort makes the organization to take step further,if you are not escalating ,issue will persist.