(P1) Sometimes being a vegetarian on the hunt can mean settling for the only black bean burger/grilled cheese/pizza slice on the menu. For those culinarily deprived non-meat-eating souls, Treehugger has rounded up a list of the world’s most vegetarian-friendly cities, taking into account the number of vegetarian joints per capita, their ratings, and percent of those joints with four and five-star reviews. For your vegetable-consuming pleasure:
- New York City: The Big Apple has a vegetarian eatery per every 2,107 people, and 88% of them have a four or five-star review.
- Portland: No surprise here that Portland has one vegetarian establishment per every 612 people.
- Chiang Mai: Thai food has long been kind to vegetarians, and this city’s eateries have an average 4.29 out of 5 rating.
- Berlin: While you might have been expecting nothing but wurst and schnitzel, the German capital was named the New Vegetarian Capital by Saveur last year.
- Ho Chi Minh City: Vietnam is 85% Buddhist, which means a lot of residents go meat-free on the 1st and 15th of each lunar month.
- Prague: A Czech staple is Smazeny Syr, which is breaded fried cheese served with chips and tartare sauce.
- London: One restaurant per 939 people.
- Seoul: Kimbap and bibimbap are popular favorites, though few restaurants are completely vegetarian: Just one for every 51,071 people.
Click for the rest of the list.
VOCABULARY: culinarily, deprived, rounded up, joints, lunar, staple, tartare sauce
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- Are you a vegetarian? Why or why not?
- Which vegetables do you like to eat?
- What are some staple foods in your country?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Who collected the list of top cities to find vegetarian joints?
- What percentage of the vegetarian-friendly restaurants in NYC have a 4 to 5-star rating?
- Which city is in the fourth spot?
- What are 2 common foods eaten in Germany?
- South Koreans love to eat what 2 dishes?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- on the hunt (P1)
- non-meat-eating souls (P1)
- vegetarian eatery (#1)
- no surprise here (#2)
Image source: by “unknown” http://www.carehospitals.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Soy-whey-protein-diet-2.jpg