(P1) The next time you fire up the grill, give your taste buds a thrill with recipes that are inspired by some of the best cuisines from around the world. These recipes from Omaha Steaks will take you on a culinary adventure right in your own backyard. Sweet and spicy Korean, zesty South American and bold Mediterranean flavors make perfectly grilled steak even better.
10 Tips for Perfect Grilling
(P2) To help you get the perfect steaks every time, follow these simple tips from the experts at Omaha Steaks:
- Clean and preheat grill on high.
- Lightly oil everything before putting it on the grill. This helps the searing process and prevents sticking.
- Season food before grilling.
- Sear the outside of steaks when grilling. This helps with the flavor and juiciness.
- Use tongs or a spatula to turn meat on the grill. Using a fork can damage the meat.
- Cover grill as much as possible during the grilling process. This helps to lock in the grilled flavor and will help prevent flare-ups.
- Keep a spray bottle with water handy to douse any unexpected flare-ups.
- Use the 60/40 grilling method. Grill for 60 percent of the time on the first side, then grill 40 percent of the time after turning over the food. This will make sure your food is evenly cooked.
- Place cooked food on a clean plate. Never place cooked food on the plate you used to transport the raw food to the grill without thoroughly washing it first.
- Allow foods to “rest” for 5 minutes between cooking and eating. This will help them retain moisture when you cut into them.
To get your grill time just right, download SteakTime, Omaha Steaks’ free app with an innovative grill timer, at www.itunes.com/appstore.
VOCABULARY: zesty, searing, spatula, flare-ups, douse
If you found the passage difficult to read or had problems understanding specific words or idiomatic expressions, please discuss them with your tutor. The following discussion questions should be answered in your own words and with your own arguments.
- Briefly, summarize the content of the article in your own words.
- What are some methods used to grill in your country?
- What seasonings are used to grill in your country?
- Will you use some of these tips the next time you grill? Why or why not?
READING COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS:
- Who is supplying the recipes in this article?
- A fork is recommended to flip the meat. (T or F)
- Flare-ups always occur when grilling. (T or F)
- Grilled meat should never be put on the same plate it was on before being cooked unless the plate is rinsed off. (T or F)
- What is the name of the application to assist with grilling times?
EXPRESSIONS or PHRASES:
What do the following expressions or phrases mean?
- fire up the grill (P1)
- give your taste buds (P1)
- season food (tip 3)
- cut into them (tip 10)
Image source: by “unknown” http://www.diningchicago.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/steak-reduced.jpg